14 November 2014

Sangokushi v41: Guan Yu's Oversight

Wasn't planning on doing another whole volume release, but things ended up turning out that way, though I'll probably release v42 chapter by chapter. There's two things I want to point out in this volume. In the rainstorm chapter, the soldier who stole the hat says he was trying to keep the family armour safe, whereas in the original novel, it was a state-issued armour. Although a seemingly minor change, you can theorize some interesting explanations for why it was made (by Yoshikawa?). Since Lu Meng's problem concerns one's duties to the state vs. one's duties to the self, if the armour was indeed issued by the state, then on some level, you can make the argument that the soldier had a duty to the state to keep his armour in good shape. Thus, Lu Meng's reasoning for deciding to execute the poor soldier is rather weakened... Or at least, that what I think. The other thing I want to mention is that in the original novel, the mass desertions don't begin until Guan Yu marches for Jingzhou, which will be covered in the next volume. This change is more obvious why, as when you read the novel, it's rather baffling why Guan Yu decided to press on the attack with his injured forces instead of waiting longer to at least hear back from Ma Liang and Yi Ji. In the Yokoyama/Yoshikawa version (again, I'm not sure who's responsible for the change), the problem of desertion makes it more understandable why Guan Yu would act so hastily.

Download:
Sangokushi v41:   Mega;   Mediafire;   Sendspace
For all previous Sangokushi volumes:   Mega;   Mediafire

6 comments:

  1. Hey. I'll be getting scans of Mononoke Soushi v3 & v4, and maybe some other random Takahashi volume (probably Strange World), from someone who offered. I'll also be scanning Gakkou Kaidan's reprint. If you want any of the above for your own purposes (MS v2 is an ebook rip), just let me know. I should be getting scanlations for the above out sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, I'd appreciate if you could send a link to my email. And are you saying Gakkou Kaidan and Strange World will both get translated by another group? Just asking to prevent any overlap.

      Delete
    2. Probably not Strange World yet, I'd like to get better scans for that since the public ones I found are yellowed and curled on the edges. Gakkou Kaidan is the only other project being worked on by him.

      Delete
    3. Also, something interesting that I pulled. Not entirely sure what it is.

      (一般コミック・雑誌) [少年少女SFマンガ大全集] [横田順彌、鏡明×吾妻ひでお、高橋留美子、高橋葉介、猫十時社、他] 黒い声の謎 [1981-Vol.12]

      http://a.pomf.se/uxxhma.zip

      Delete
  2. I love Sangokushi so much! If you were willing, would you like help on it at all? I am totally fine with remaining nameless and you taking all the credit! I would love to get more and more of this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah, it's fine. It's easiest to work alone for this project. I'm just happy to hear you're enjoying the releases.

      Delete